I painted it white, did a light distress and used a black glaze.
It was quick, easy and totally boring. As much as I love white furniture, I never seem to be thrilled with the results when I do it.
I kept looking at the tray top, thinking it needed something.
I finally scored some vintage sheet music and there was my answer. We've all seen it done before, but I'd never tried it. Time to break out the Mod Podge. Now let me just say that I have successfully used Mod Podge before. I often line the drawers of small pieces of furniture with a coordinating paper, usually scrapbook paper. I also lined the drawer of an end table for my son with a map of Baltimore. He lives in Baltimore, so that was very cool. No problems with Mod Podge. ..... Ok, back to the sheet music.
I started with the two side pieces.
Then layered the sheet with the title on the top. I wanted it to look like the sheets were just casually placed on the table.
Cute, don't you think?
Ok, now for the real story. (My husband says I'm very honest.) It was a total disaster! The sheet music was old and thin. When I tried to smooth out the bubbles, the paper pretty much just disintegrated in my fingers. Ugh!!! Now, I'm a bit of a perfectionist, so even a few bubbles would annoy me, but this was way beyond bubbles. I had to scrape it all off. And yes, it was a big, sticky mess! I should have taken pictures, but my fingers were covered in Mod Podge and tiny bits of paper. ..... Well, needless to say, I headed straight to google and found my answer. PUT A SEALER ON THE PAPER FIRST!!! Mod Podge makes a sealer just for this purpose. They didn't have it at my local Michael's, so I picked up another brand. I spread the paper on a sheet outside and lightly sprayed both sides a few times, allowing it to dry between coats. ... And guess what, it worked beautifully!
I did the top again and added two more sheets to the bottom shelf.